Friday, October 2, 2009

No More Scooping and "We'll see you in a year"...

Yes, that's what I was told after Bennett's echocardiogram today!! His cardiologist said the leaking in his mitral valve was now mild, not mild to moderate and everything looked really good. However, (don't ya just hate that word sometimes??) he said that Bennett has a bicuspid aortic valve- excuse me, a what?? Are you kidding me?? He said that this happens to about 1% of the population and people can live with it just as it is but if leaking gets much worse heart surgery would need to be done. Bennett's aortic valve is not leaking at all-praise God! Let's hope and pray it stays that way!

So after googling the heck out of it, {you knew I was going to do that, right? That's what us moms do best} the bottom line that I found was: Average lifespan is similar to that of those without the anomaly. Okay, that made me feel much better. But seriously, could we not have things happen to us that only happens in 1% of the population??? I think this was the case with Ainsley's diagnosis when she was born-ahhh!

Well, I always ask the cardiologist when he's done with Bennett: "Are you pleased with what you saw today and how he's doing?" and he said "Yes, very pleased" I then asked him if I should worry about this bicuspid thing and he said "NO!" He said to treat him like any other baby, no more scooping him up (we can now hold him under the arms) and no more lasix! And then "we'll see you in a year"- that was good to hear. So if he's not concerned then I'm going to try not to be...I stress the word try. I'll leave you with my cutie wearing his cute owl outfit (not sure if these are pj's, I guess technically they are because they have feet but who cares, they're cute);)

Still lovin' that thumb


Getting close to rolling over to his tummy!

I just love this little guy!

24 comments:

  1. Oh, it's SO nice that the scooping is over!! That was THE hardest part for us! That was a looooong two months!

    We just got the one-year clear in August--so exciting!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo jealous!!! The scooping is driving me crazy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a whole year!!! that is so great:) i will still be keeping bennett in my prayer:) wow, a whole year, that must feel like a huge wait off of your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome. WOOT for great appointments. He is the absolute most precious/adorable/handsome little boy. He melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad his appointment went well. He is SO handsome and getting so strong :) We just got that little owl outfit from my parents for our little man when he arrives. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful!Hopefully Elijah's surgery goes as well as Bennett's did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent news!! And AH! Bennett has the most precious little face EVER!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One year is great! Isn't it a great feeling to have another cardio appt behind you? I get so worked up when it comes time to go to cardio.

    Carly's cardio docs want to let her go 1 year between appts., but I'm more comfortable with every 6 months. Even though they don't do ECHOs each time. Guess with all Carly has been through, I'm just not ready to let go of that comfort thing. Plus she does have somethings going on still.

    I wish sometimes we weren't told about the % that could happen. I told the doc., please dont say that. If it can happen to Carly, it will. Hence the problem that is going on now. Aortic stenosis. It's like less than 5% chance of it happening to anyone after any heart surgery. After it happens once, then there is an increased % for it to happen again.

    A membrane formed around the bottom of her aortic valve and was removed in 2004. It reared it's ugly head again 2 years ago. So we watch and we pray that she will not need anymore surgery. Like I said, each time they remove it, the chance for it to grow back increases.

    I'm thinking Bennett is looking HUGE in these pictures. Man is he ever growing. He is so darn cute. I love the little outfit too. So what if it's pj's. Babies can get away with wearing those all day. Wish we could!! That pic of him sucking his thumb is priceless!!

    Oops...guess I rambled on a bit. Sorry. Keep those pictures coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fabulous news--I loved when the scooping was officially over--Although I still tend to scoop anyway and cringe when people grab her under the arms even though I know I don't need to worry! What a cute little man you have! I'm so glad to hear he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay on the heart!!! And I love that owl outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad he is doing so well! He is so cute - I just love looking at pictures of him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is just the cutest most adorable baby. I love the owl outfit and wish I could put my 8 year old in it! He may not look that cute though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little boy is ADORABLE. My daughter told me to write that and she's so right. We remember very clearly February 9, 2009. That was the day we got the no more scooping line from our cardio doc. What a great feeling. Congratulations on making it this far. It's gonna keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's wonderful that he's doing so well!I love his beautiful dark hair and eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the owls :) Glad to hear you don't have to scoop anymore. That was pretty annoying when we had to do it, and make sure the other people in his life did it too.

    That's great he doesn't have to see the cardiologist for another year! We were ecstatic when we were told that too. Awesome Bennett!! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Adrienne I feel ya with the 1%. You know my little Yusef has DS and my daughter Zainah has Turner's syndrome which is even more rare than DS. The two happening in the same family? Unheard of. Zainah also has a bicuspid aortic valve and also two SVC's. Both are fairly benign and we just check it yearly also. Try not to worry dear. You've got good news! Enjoy your boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great news, one year!!!! Love that owl outfit and the pic with the thumb!!!! Oh my gosh he is the sweetest! I would love to kiss those cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh how wonderful, I remember when we could stop scooping, that was the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading your blog and seeing the new pics of Bennett...he is the most adorable baby ever.

    Michelle - BBC member

    ReplyDelete
  20. YAY!!!! He's just sooooo adorable!!!

    Love the new little features on the blog!!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a little cutie!! congrats on the good news! my son has his two week check up this coming friday and we have to get one of those echocardiograms... i get the gist of it, but have no idea what to expect. we'll see. :-) God bless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great news(both the heart and the scooping!)!Sylas was just at the cardiologist last Thursday, good report too. Bennett is looking really active, I think you are going to have a "mover and shaker" on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome report! congrats on no scooping!!! we know God is in control!! Parker has the owl pj's too, LOL...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!