Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Many Women In Bennett's Life....

Bennett sees several wonderful ladies every single week! They are his therapists. Therapy is a HUGE part of having a child with special needs. Almost every week day Bennett is with them and some of them have had him since he was a tiny, little baby. We have been so very fortunate with the services we receive here in PA and will be so terribly sad to say goodbye to these women who have shown so much love for Bennett. I wish I could have gotten pictures of each and every one of them with Bennett but you know how it goes with a toddler.

Working with his physical therapist, Gail.

Gail is awesome!! From the very moment she laid eyes on Bennett she told him he was amazing. And she said it all the time-"Bennett, you're amaaazing!" She met him when he had just turned one and he wasn't crawling yet. But every little thing he did, every milestone he hit she always told him how amazing he was, always such positive affirmation about the little person he was. We love Gail and wish we could take her down to NC with us!

That there is quite possibly the smallest piece of walking equipment on earth;)

Working with play doh with his occupational therapist, Sue. They're both saying "Roll!" here.

Sue has been with Bennett the longest. His very first therapist. She came into our home when he was just 4 weeks old. He still needed heart surgery and was so sleepy all of the time. I had never had any experience with a therapist and Down syndrome was all very new to me. I wasn't sure how it all worked and was so overwhelmed with the thought of early intervention. But Sue made it seem so normal, she made me realize it was going to be okay.

For over 2 years Sue has come into our home, worked with Bennett, loved on Bennett, talked to the girls and listened to me when I needed an ear. I could tell Sue truly loved spending time with Bennett and he loved spending time with her. Again, if I could stuff her in my suitcase, I would.

Giving hugs goodbye.

We will miss you Sue!!!

Of course there are others like Renee-LOVE Renee! She is Bennett's developmental/speech therapist and always has the best suggestions for games and things to work on. Bennett loved listening to her sing songs. Renee has had Bennett since he was six months old and due to her father's sudden illness, I was not able to get a picture with them together but if we're able to see her again before we go, I will;)

Bennett also had several private therapists that have been working with him for almost the last year. Tracy was his PT, Amy his OT and Michelle his Speech/feeding therapist. All were wonderful and treated Bennett so sweetly. They put up with his fits when he was "all done!" and gladly accepted his kisses when he was in a better mood.

I really can't believe how blessed we were to have such awesome therapists. Six women who saw Bennett every single week, some in our home and some in a clinic setting. All worked extremely hard and all made me feel like my son was loved and cared for. We just can't thank them enough.

Moving on will be hard but new therapists will come into Bennett's life and I can only hope and pray that they are as wonderful as these ladies were.


<span class=

5 comments:

  1. I know how you fell, I felt like I was going to go into a depression when william turned 3 and aged out of early steps here in louisiana :). Therapist become family and your other children grow tolove them as well. two of them were with us for the entire 3 years. We still stay in touch but it still isnt the same. B looks like he is doing great and love his sweet face

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! We were very fortunate to have the same therapist for 2 and a half years, they came with us on Brendan's first day of school to see him off with him, and we all cried happy tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE early invervention because this is supposed to be how it goes :) You gain a relationship with wonderful people who are there to support you and your sweet family. I know you'll find the support you need in your new home and it makes me so blessed to be an ECDD teacher . . . I know that little Bennett has made as much of an impact on those therapists hearts and they have on all of yours. :) So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet tribute to some important people in your "village" helping Bennett along the way. We love our therapists and how they celebrate every little thing with us.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!